[Dailydrool] Cushing's Disease

Pat walzel at wt.net
Fri Aug 15 18:29:12 PDT 2008

Hi Sandy & Daisy.

I have a rescued male basset, Tracker, who is between 9 and 10 years old who
has had Cushing's for the past two years.  It sounds like Daisy is
exhibiting all the symptoms that Tracker experienced before we finally got
his diagnosis.  Today, he is doing pretty good; but he has a tendency to
swing high and low on his tests.  He was checked for pitutary tumors and
adrenal gland production and his Cushings is caused by his adrenal glands.
He was put through the induction phase which slows or stops the production
of adrenaline and this entailed putting him on Lysodrene (the medication
humans also use for Cushings). He had been on a maintenance program for the
last year and has been tested about every three months.  But even with that
close of check, my vet doesn't know why he fell completely back to square
one about two months ago. So, we went through the induction phase again.
And he started the Lysodrene again this past Friday.  My vet has only dealt
with one other case of Cushings and that dog lined out very well on the
maintenance program.  So, I think a lot depends on the dog.  It has been
very expensive (the Lysodrene is high $$), but of course, our bassets are
worth every penny.  Good luck with Daisy

Pat Walzel