[Dailydrool] Playing with food

Shirley Mueller snoozinhounds at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 16 10:36:33 PDT 2008

I am wondering if any of you have a hound in your home that plays with food.
Sally Belle (Just turned 9 yrs) has been doing this since we adopted her
almost 7 yrs ago.  She was food aggressive when we brought her home and I
had to stand guard over her to be sure none of the nosy boys peered in her
area or her direction or  she went after them.  After about a month of guard
duty she gave up the protection role- maybe she figured out there was a
supply of food for her and no one would take it. So now and since then we
have gone the opposite direction.  She waits till the boys are finished
before she eats her meal.  Then she will take a piece of kibble and toss it
in the air and chase it. (sometimes barks at it  and it and plays like it
will move)  She does this over and over sometimes with a new piece and
sometimes with the same piece for 3-5 min then settles down to eat.  It is
quite funny to watch and I have never had another dog that does this. Just
wondered if any of you have a dog that behaves this way.

Shirley Mueller

Mom to Harrison & Sally Belle