[Dailydrool] Sleeping with bassets

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Aug 18 07:30:49 PDT 2008

Sleeping with bassets can be a dangerous thing, because of course they believe the bed is theirs, and they kindly allow you some space on it. Often I don't get much space--my guys must think I am a basset, because I'm allowed just about a basset-sized space in bed.

Drew, who gets into bed first and stakes his claim and is weighty enough to hold onto whatever space he gets, has the only human-sized space.

When Jane was small, she insisted on sleeping on the bed, despite all my efforts to make her sleep in her own bed on the floor. But she always slept at our feet and was no problem. When we got Bel, we had a problem. Bel wants to sleep north-south, in an east-west bed. We have to hustle him to an east-west position in between us so that I can have space to sleep. Sometimes he starts chasing a rabbit, and his dashing paws extend into my space, making sleep impossible. Or he decides he must be going north-south in the bed and pushes me out. How many nights have I slept on the couch or in the spare bedroom? Take my word for it, you don't want to know.

Happily, Abner has never been a bed hound, or I would have to find another bed permanently. Jane sleeps in the bed only during cool weather, so right now I am simply battling Bel for enough sleeping space.

Sleeping with bassets can be nice and toasty in the winter, overheated in summer, and cuddly all year round, but don't think you will train the basset about bed manners. You are more likely to be on the receiving end of the training.

Have too much space in bed? Add a basset, and you'll be hanging off the edge in no time. I wish we had a king-sized bed, but I'm not sure I still wouldn't be hanging off it!
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets