[Dailydrool] Bed arrangements and such

Katie Strobel katie.strobel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:41:16 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,
It's Katie, writing in for Watson - who is busy chewing/playing with
his new bone that he got this morning. Watson never plays with his
kibble but he does play with the bones. He'll chew on it for a while,
then he'll leave it on the floor, go two feet away from it, stick his
butt in the air and bark at it. Eventually, he'll roll over on his
back with that cute pink spotted belly in the air and bark at the bone
upside down. When he rolls back over, he grabs the bone in his mouth
and does the bouncy-run to a new location where this starts all over
again - it's probably the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Watson is allowed in the bed for nap time during waking hours, but
when we're both here, he sleeps in his crate overnight. Recently,
we've been staying up late to watch the olympics so Watson comes in
around 8 and goes to sleep next to me. He starts out in a ball, then
lays on his side all stretched out, and finally he reaches "maximum
comfort mode" and sleeps on his back, tail sticking straight out and
belly in the air. He balances himself against me, so I'm always warm
whether I want to be or not. Around 1, we fight over who has to wake
him up and "put him to bed". That is usually a feat in itself. We have
to talk really nicely to him, rub his ears until he opens his eyes,
scratch his belly, and then scratch and rub his back before he is
awake enough to move. We used to just carry him to bed, but now that
he weighs 55 pounds that is impossible at any time of day - let alone
1am. When I'm at school, Watson sleeps in the bed with my boyfriend
because moving such a sweet cuddly guy is just too hard when there's a
nice human-sized space for him. It's a queen bed so as long as Watson
gets one side, another full-sized person can sleep on the other side
without difficulty. Watson sleeps length-wise on the bed - upside
down, just like a person. He does not, however, prefer to use pillows.
I am sure he would sleep under the covers if my boyfriend weren't so
averted to dog hair.

We're continuing drool production around here - Watson got a new
basted knuckle bone today so we should be in high drool mode all day
long for all those sick houndies.
We home everyone is having a good Monday.
Katie and Watson (dis bone is delwicious!)