[Dailydrool] Sleeping in the bed

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Tue Aug 19 06:26:15 PDT 2008

There are a lot of sleep-deprived Droolers out there, but I'm not one
of them because our Elsinore and young Charlie sleep in crates in the
back entry. Allergies and an aversion to washing the sheets more than
I have to keep the dogs out of my bed.

When we travel and stay in motels, we suspend the house rules
(because we're not in the house anymore, are we?) and let them sleep
on the bed with us. Elsinore likes to stretch out sideways up by our
shoulders and Charlie stays mostly in a ball down by our knees. (I
read somewhere that a dog who feels as if it ranks high in the pack
will sleep higher up on the bed, and a dog who feels it outranks its
humans will sleep right up by their heads.)

Ken has enough body weight to be unaffected by Elsinore's desire to
go sideways, but I don't. So while the dogs sleep great, I end up
waking up every couple hours to reposition Elsinore so I'll have more
room.

It's okay to lose a few night's sleep like this in exchange for the
joys of early morning canine cuddling, and because someone else will
be stripping and remaking the bed. But when we're not on holiday,
I've got to work and I can't work when I'm half asleep because I've
been fighting the dogs for bed space all night. Crates are wonderful
inventions and we all sleep much better here for using them!

Elizabeth