[Dailydrool] Rupert - please drool for poop

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:56:21 PDT 2008

Thank you to everyone who has already emailed us about Ru's tummy. I took
the advice of my dear droolers and got him in for an immediate xray. He
definitely ate something - the question is what?! This is my first (i'm sure
not my last) of bassets-eating-forbidden-objects experience. The xray shows
something, shaped like a cork or plug in his intestines. It has passed thru
his stomach but were not sure how far along it actually is in te intestines.
The object almost looks like a screw or bolt, it has a mushroom shape to it
and looks like there is threading on the straight portion, our vet thinks it
is plastic though, not metal. (?) Anyway they said to pray for poop tonight
and if he doesnt pass it tonight then we have to bring him in again in the
morning for another xray to see if it has moved. If not, then its definitely
blockage and they said surgery would be recommended. So far I've spent $250,
another xray is $120 and the surgery would be close to a grand!!! (Grr, I
was just pricing the emergency surgery insurance last week!!)

Anyway, please send drool that he can pass it, as I really dont want to
charge $1000 for this. Also feel better drool for the little man. The vet
did give some fluids (under the skin) and a shot for anti-nausea, so
hopefully that will help him feel better. I'll keep ya updated on his
progress, thanks again to all!

Kacy with Cowboy n Rupert