[Dailydrool] Begonia's story (ATB 8/21/07)

Bonnie Garner parrothead at ripleycable.net
Thu Aug 21 07:31:04 PDT 2008

She was only with us for six weeks.  She was never comfortable physically.  The cancer growing inside her caused her pain and to pace a lot.  She was our first rescue.

I could write a book about Begonia, although we only had her for six weeks.  My Stella (ATB 12/19/06) gave me permission (more like an order) after six months of grieving to begin to look for another hound.  Stella also led me to basset rescue, something I had never heard of, had never thought of, and knew nothing about, even though I had owned two bassets.

Begonia was one of a bonded pair that I discovered on the BHRA web site.  When I looked into her eyes in the photograph, I saw nothing but Stella.  This made me sad in a way, so I continued to look.  "Let's just try one new hound at first," said the husband.  But I kept coming back and looking at the pair and into those soulful eyes.

Long story short,  Beachbaby and Begonia came into our lives on July 7, 2007.  From the moment they came through the back gate to meet Stanley, you could tell they were "home".

We first noticed the "bumps" on Begonia's stomach on the way home from Birmingham.  BHRA had already had to do extensive surgery on her to remove a lot of breast tissue, but the pathology reports were good.

As the weeks went on, she seemed to get worse.  Stubborn as a mule, very petite, and strong as an ox.  It was obvious Stella had sent her.  Our local vet did more surgery to try to correct some issues, and that's when he discovered the cancer throughout her body.  He didn't suggest any treatment options, but said to keep her as comfortable as possible.  He said she probably had about 3-4 months left with us.

But it was not to be.  Within the next week I could tell she was in a lot of pain.  She was not a complainer, and very stoic in her mannerism.  On this day one year ago, we freed her to go to the Bridge.

This little girl taught me so much in the short time we had her.   We still think about her and miss her.  Both Rick and I say often how we wish we had more time to know her.  She left behind her sister, Beachbaby, who by that time had gotten accustomed to us and her new home, so the transition of losing Begonia was not as hard on her.  There's no doubt that Stella and Begonia are together at the Bridge.  Which one is more stubborn there, we'll just have to wait and see.

Bonnie
Slave to Stanley, Beachbaby, Lowretta, Stella (ATB), J.D. (ATB), Begonia (ATB)