[Dailydrool] Stung by a bee . . .

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Fri Aug 22 16:31:30 PDT 2008

Mary,

I hope you've gotten a dozen replies by now...

Yes, giving Benadryl was probably just the right thing to do.  We once had a lab/setter mix who was very allergic to insect bites, and we learned to not panic, and give her Benadryl.  She was so allergic that her windpipe would swell up along with wherever she was bitten.  The Benadryl always did the trick, and in a few hours she'd be fine.  Besides keeping the swelling under control, the Benadryl would also make her extremely sleepy.  So, she'd conk out for a few hours, and wake up just fine.  Sometimes we'd give her a second dose four hours later if she was still swollen up.

Our vet once told me that you could double the initial dose of Benadryl if you thought the bite was especially serious.  That means you could give a 50-pound hound 4 25mg pills, and that would be fine to start with.  Yes, the usual dose would be two 25mg Benadryls for the average basset.

If it's just Leo's eyelid that's puffy, he should be fine.

Let us know how it goes,

Nancy, owned by Sweet (still peeing) Sarah, and Frank the Tank