[Dailydrool] Drool for Spanky, and advice about when a basset goes from pup to adult(!)

rebecca stanton rebecca.stanton at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 24 07:53:22 PDT 2008

Afternoon droolers!  First of all, drool drool and more drool for Spanky, we are keeping hands and paws pressed together in prayer for him.

I mailed last week about a friend who was thinking of joining the DD; I don't think she has yet, so I will go ahead and try to get some advice on her behalf.  She has a 16 month old basset called Tilly, and she has asked me 'how long does the puppy stage last, and when will she begin to calm down a little?'  She has been spade.  I'm not the right person to ask really, as Pumbaa was over 7 when we got him and was a laidback boy, and Morse was never an active puppy, and has always been happy to snooze happily most of the day.  He has never made an attempt to take any food left on the side of the settee, if I leave the room, and has never thought of counter-cruising.   Tilly, however, is very much the pup still, lol.  There is a baby in the household and a small child too, and Tilly gets on really well with them both, which is fabulous.  But, like a lot of bassets, she counter-cruises, is on the go all day, and not snoozing!, will jump up and grab food from
 the children, and I think with the new baby and her other child, I am feeling that my friend is a little overwhelmed at the moment.  She is probably very tired with the children too and perhaps not in the best frame of mind for coping.   When she came into my house, Tilly immediately sprang straight onto the settee, and then did a basset-500 - hilarious!  Morse just stood and watched in amazement; if he could have done a tut-tut and a brow lift, he would have done, lol!!  I have given her the telephone number of the basset welfare lady locally who is marvellous and full of good information, but I am wondering if any droolers out there with similar bassets could email me and I could put them in touch with my friend, for a little support and advice?  As I say, with Morse being such a sleepy-head, I have no real experience in this area.  Sally will also be a good person to ask, as she has Rolph and Clara who do their share of counter-cruising and
 basset-500s!, and I will ask her as soon as she is back from hols.  She also lives closeby.  Any advice is really appreciated, thank you!!

Becky, Morse & Pumbaa ATB x