[Dailydrool] Sweet Sarah

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Mon Aug 25 06:32:43 PDT 2008

As you may know, our Sweet Sarah has been drinking water like there's no oasis, and then has been peeing lakes (outside mostly, with only two accidents inside).  We took her to the vet about 10 days ago for urine and blood work, and the only sign of anything wrong is an elevated blood calcium level which is usually indicative of cancer.  We decided not to pursue following up finding the exact cause because there was nothing the vet mentioned, or that I found out about on my own, that we would put our 12-year-old, scared-of-her-own-shadow Sarah through to treat.

Well, yesterday we noticed that Sarah's hind-quarters were quivering a little, so we put her back on the Previcox that the vet prescribed for her arthritis a couple of years ago.  We have been giving it to her on and off, probably 50% of the time, because it can cause liver damage.  Yesterday we figured that liver problems would be the least of her issues, so we started up the Previcox again.  Last night, for the first time in weeks, Sarah slept through the night without having to get up for a drink of water and to go outside. In fact, Bill woke up at 5:00 to go to the bathroom, and his first thought was "Oh No, Sarah must have died overnight!"  He went over to her dog bed and touched her and she woke up with a big yawn. The night before, she'd gone out at 10:30, 12:30, 3:30 and 5:30, and drank a half a bowl of water each time.

So now we're wondering a lot of things:  Did the Previcox somehow change things so she's less thirsty?  Did the pain from arthritis make her drink more? Are her kidneys actually now shutting down, and the Previcox is just making her more comfortable?  We will just have to wait and see how things progress, I guess, but meanwhile, Sarah seems to be a lot less desperately thirsty, and otherwise happy.  She has a good appetite, her tail wags, and she ran outside barking at some guy going by on a bike this morning.

Nancy, owned by Sweet Sarah and Frank the Tank