[Dailydrool] Ideas on dogfood.

Laurie A Diehl diehllau at msu.edu
Mon Aug 25 12:13:36 PDT 2008

I'm finally caught up on the DD that I missed while on vacation for two
weeks.  It was a long two weeks without Lance, but he did great at the
kennel while I was gone thank goodness as he's never been there that long in
the past.

The day before I dropped him off I took him to the vet because he had
diarrhea that wasn't clearing up with regular Pepto.  Lance goes to a pretty
big vet clinic with several vets that work there.  Until Christmas we'd been
going to the same gal as Lance does better with female doctors.  Lance's
main doctor left the practice sometime around Christmas and since then we've
been bounced around a bit between practitioners.

When I got Lance I started feeding him Purina One Sensitive Stomach, but
after two cases of Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis and somewhat frequent bouts
of diarrhea I switched to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul.  He still
has 3-4 episodes of diarrhea that needs a Rx a year.  Having reviewed the
ingredients with his old vet she thought it was a good food and didn't
recommend change when I asked.  After a new bout w/ HGE in May and the
diarrhea the week prior to vacation the vet we saw recommended a BLAND DIET.

Oh course he wanted me to go with Science Diet supplied by the office, but
when asked about a more available food that I could get at a Pet Supply or
Feed store He said any Sensitive Stomach type would probably work. He
specifically mentioned Purina One.

I'm not going to ask for the same old run down of what everyone feeds their
bassets, but how does one designate a BLAND DIET when it comes to prepared
kibble? I'm willing the switch him over to something if its readily
available, but I'm not sure what aspects to look at for that specific trait.
I brought up the fact that I'd intentionally gone away from Purina because
of the high corn content and he seemed unconcerned with that as an
ingredient unless Lance had shown any signs of allergies in the past.

Does anyone know what to look for in a BLAND DIET?

Thanks,
Laurie and Lance in Kalamazoo