[Dailydrool] clumber spaniels

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:15:53 PDT 2008

Intrigued by the discussion on this breed I had to look it up to see a pic.
Of course, a total cutey!

I then googled clumber spaniel and basset hound together to see if in fact
there was any relation and sure enough numerous sites hinted at bassets
possibly being in the clumber ancestry.

"History: The clumber spaniel is believed to have been developed in France
by the Duc de Noailles. When the French Revolution was imminent, he
relocated his dogs to the kennels at the Duke of Newcastle's Clumber Park
estate. There may be Alpine spaniel and basset hound in the clumber's
ancestry. The breed became popular among English nobility during the
nineteenth century."