[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Vol 21, Issue 18

Helena Poist helena at proplanner.com
Sun Aug 31 09:56:25 PDT 2008

Please send drool and support to the Louisiana basset rescue group who
will be taking a hard hit from the current hurricane.. Remember all the other animals
in Nawlins as well. My son was there for Katrina and he just left (one semester of school left) from Gustav. The devasatation and impact on all animals is hard to imagine.  I was there 5 months after it happened and it has forever impacted me.

Forgive the repetition for those of you who are getting our E-Flashes
but I feel this is very important to get to as many of our families
as possible.

The 2008 hurricane season is now fully upon us as evidenced by
Hurricane Gustov threatening our panhandle bassets and Tropical Storm
Hanna threatening our south Florida bassets. We have a large number
of foster bassets in both areas of the state and many in individual
foster homes scattered along the coastline of Florida, both east and
west. It is vital that we have a cohesive emergency preparedness
plan to get both our foster bassets and their foster families to
safety in case they are in danger of an approaching weather system.

We encourage each foster family to design a plan that keeps them
safe - some of you will be able to stay in place safely and you may
even have the needed items to keep you supplied in emergency power,
food and water during the aftermath of a storm. Some of you will
need to evacuate and either temporarily re-home your foster bassets
or find shelter where they will be accepted during the disaster. Our
rescue is here to provide whatever assistance and help you need.

I would ask each of the families that are a part of our rescue,
either because they have adopted a basset from us, foster for us or
just love bassets, to stop now and create both a plan for your family
and a plan for how you can help if one our rescue members needs
assistance with their bassets during or after a disaster. We need a
person that will act as our disaster coordinator, whose
responsibilities will be to monitor impending situations, assess
each foster homes' needs and to facilitate them getting the
assistance they need both to care for our bassets as well as stay
safe themselves.

Life long Florida resident Linda Lartigue, who has weathered many
natural disasters and who did relief work with the animal victims of
Katrina, offers these important recommendations to make it possible
to reunite with your pet if separated:

1. Make certain your pet is micro chipped and that the
information that the microchip company has is complete and current.
2. Take your pet to the vet at the beginning of each hurricane
season and have them scan the chip to make certain it is still
reading correctly and it is still in its proper place.
3. Place a harness and collar on your pet that has I.D. tags
attached to each with sturdy hardware.
4. Make certain you list not only your phone number on the I.D,
tags but also several other phone numbers of friends/family members
that are not in the same area you live in. That way if the phone
system where you live is out of service, a person that finds your pet
can call someone outside the disaster area and notify them of the
discovery so that they can be claimed. Also do this for the
microchip company.
5. Take pictures not only of your pet but also of your pet with
you, your pet with other family members as well as your pet with any
of your friends that might come to claim your pet on your behalf.
This will speed up the reuniting process and in some cases may
prevent someone else from laying claim to your pet.

Please send me an email if you are interested in helping with our
disaster preparedness coordination. Thank you for your continued
support of the bassets and please stay safe this hurricane season.

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com <mailto:savethebassets%40yahoo.com>
Basset_Rescue_of_Florida