[Dailydrool] Sammie

Kim Brown brownstoneranch at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 10:47:03 PST 2008

Last year I asked everyone for drool regarding my beagle/hound Sammie..  She was in congestive heart failure and just had a huge seizure.  The veterinarian did not think she  would make it back from that episode.  I asked all of you for drool and you responded right away slinging healing drool my way.  Sammie recovered from that seizure and in spite of her failing heart and ran around the house once again begging for food.

Last night we had to let our sweet Sammie go to the bridge.  It was bittersweet because we had 15 more months with her than we were supposed to get.  Till the very end, Sammie ran down the hall in the morning for her medications (all 7 of them) and begged at lunchtime for her share of my usual salad.  The past few days Sammie had problems catching her breath and yesterday morning, I just knew the time had come.  Even though she wheezed, and coughed on exertion, Sammie still scampered down the hall and begged for food.  That is what made my decision so very hard.  I could not let her suffer even though I knew how much I needed her in my life.  I had to focus on the fact that she loved me whether I was sick or healthy.  She especially took care of me when I was not feeling well.  It was my turn to be unselfish and take care of her.  Her heart was beating irradically and she had a very pronounced arrhythmia.  Her quality of life had started to
 decline and a heart attack was imminent.

Sammie is on my Christmas card on the Howliday Exchange Mid List.  She is in her favorite spot, underneath the desk.  Please send drool my way once again.  Even though I have 3 more dogs (2 Bassets & 1 Lab)  I can't stop crying.

Kim
food slave to Daisy, Dixe, Sammie (ATB) and Gracie