[Dailydrool] Bassetude

Hilary Stevens hilaryjane at msn.com
Thu Dec 18 10:11:08 PST 2008

'Trade' (or bribery depending on how you look at it) seems to be the concensus response to retrieving items from a reluctant basset.

Apparently Alfie's not alone in his unwillingness to give up prized possessions (in this house these tend to be tea towels, socks, shoes and stray poo bags).

Both are counter cruisers, thanks to Millie who taught Alfie the art. NOTHING is safe.  We used to let them have free-run of the kitchen and utility but we came back one afternoon and a huge section of the (new) kitchen vinyl was in shreds so that put paid to that.  Now they have the utility (cork floor) and an outside area when we can't supervise them. We have a baby-gate at the bottom of the stairs but Millie will shoot up if its not shut properly.  Alfie's not interested in stairs.

I seriously don't think I have one pair of shoes or boots left without chew marks on the leather or on the zip.  And even my wellies are letting water in now.  No doubt due to a couple of tiny teeth marks.

We live out in the country and get a lot of wildlife passing through.  Walking them is a NIGHTMARE.  It is more of an inspection than a walk.  Sometimes, they'll spot deer and if I'm on my own I just have to hold on for dear (excuse the pun) life.  They nearly pulled me over the other day (downhill, wet grass) and I was so terrified of letting go of the leads, I arrived back at the house quite shaken.  They would have been OFF.

Good job they are so darn cute.

Hilary