[Dailydrool] Loners

Sherrilyn panama_jacques at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 29 18:30:55 PST 2008

While most bassets are very sociable, Morse is not alone in his preference for a solitary life. BROOD was looking for a home for Jacques where he could be an only dog.  That suited me, so I adopted him (7 years ago!)  He doesn't mind some small dogs, but he really hates bassets, bulldogs, and black labs.  Imagine the fun that I *didn't* have the first time we went to a BROOD event.  I spent the entire time holding onto a snarling, lunging dog.  At the Ramble a few years later, he spent most of the time roaming the perimeter of the fence, ignoring the other hounds who were romping and playing.  I guess he's just socially retarded. He pretty much ignores people who come over, too.

So, Morse is not alone.  And that's okay.  The challenge is accepting (and respecting) that some hounds just are not sociable and prefer to be loners.

Cheers,
Sherrilyn