[Dailydrool] Re-housebreaking

Courtney Willard courtney_willard at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 06:53:41 PST 2008

Hello fellow droolers!

I'm here to ask for your advice regarding potty training and our 5-6 year old basset Franny. This is crucial is because my husband says there is no reason to replace our carpet if our dog is not potty trained. People, this carpet is burnt sienna ... BURNT SIENNA. It is the ugliest carpet I have ever seen, with parts bleached by the sun and stained by years of use by the previous owners. I NEED new carpet.

Here's the issue. Franny almost always has her accident near the door. While our Maggie will come get us in a panic when she has to go out, Franny will just sit patiently and stare at the door. No barking, no pawing the door, no nothing. So if we're not there to take her out she'll just let it go.

Should we train her to use a bell? And how do we do that? I'm not sure how to make the connection for her that ringing a bell means she goes outside to pee. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated - especially if it means I can get new carpet:) Thanks in advance!

Courtney Bishop
Momslave to Gilbert, Maggie and Franny