[Dailydrool] Kenneling

Nadine Mysker nadine at mysker.com
Tue Dec 30 09:05:36 PST 2008

Jill the Bagel came to us in bad shape emotionally with lots of
baggage including caging used as punishment.  We thought she'd never
ever get back in  one.  After two plus years of no cage we have
finally had positive results with caging her for very short times with
the door closed while we are in of the house but out of view and in
the house within view (the door is open or closed). Very gentle
persuasion, patience, and frozen fish sticks were the key (A VERY
SPECIAL TREAT RESERVED FOR THREE OR FOUR TIMES PER YEAR).  We learned
early that Jill preferred small dark places during storms and times of
stress; her cage has a heavy, dark sleeping bag wrapped around it,
leaving a six inch void in the covering along the bottom of the door.
During recent lightening she went in on her own volition with her butt
 backed up to the uncovered part of the door and WENT TO SLEEP!!!  On
Christmas day we had two four leggers, one a niece and one a second
cousin.  When Jill became tired of the extremely large puppy's
pouncing she went into her cage and went to sleep.  We suspect if she
could she would have closed the door - LOL!  Anyhow, the above has
made the transition to off premise kenneling quite easy for the
grandpup.  She no longer minds cages, uses them on her own and is
looking forward to visiting her nephew Baxter of Missouri next month
for a vacation from MeMom and Pop WITH CAGE IN TOW.
Nadine Mysker, slave to Jill the Bagel