[Dailydrool] Blue Power Ear Treatment

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Dec 1 07:47:00 PST 2008

<<The blue power is great for ears that are not infected. If they are it might cause pain.When Becky had her infection my vet said 'no' it was too strong for infected sore ears. However to prevent infection it would be great.>>

Whoa, I have to disagree on this. If there is an open sore or the ear drum is perforated, you should not use the treatment, but for pseudomonas, it can definitely be a life saver.

I wrote Cathy about this off list. Everything else failed for our Alexis. She was resistant to every antibiotic the vet could get us. Nothing worked. She had a TECA in one ear. But the second ear was kept going by the BPET. Because we were desperate and nothing worked, with the vet's agreement, I gave it to her every day for the rest of her life (note that usually it is not given that often, but the usual dosage did not work for Alexis, so I tried it). She it stabilized the second ear, and she could hear because of that.

A TECA is VERY PAINFUL for the hound. It is very expensive. It's not something to be gone into lightly. But when a hound is in constant pain, it's a good solution.

Also, treating pseudomonas is different from a yeast infection or any of the more minor infections bassets are prone to. Dealt with quickly, they can disappear. But Alexis's original humans evidently did not deal with it when it was small, so it blossomed into a huge problem. Sounds as if Maggie Mae had the same kind of situation.

Don't hesitate to use the BPET if the ear is not ulcerated or the ear drum perforated. It can really help. But do be careful in using it. Contrary to common opinion, it does sting.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets