[Dailydrool] Vikki, Natasha & Spencer

Vikki Kiehl vkiehl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:22:53 PST 2008

Thank you for the very warm welcome!  I'm Vikki and have had bassets since
ummm.... 92 I think.  The 2 that have me now are Natasha & Spencer.
Natasha is 13 and came to me when she was 9.  Her family got a new puppy
that they liked better & took her to the vet to have her euthanized.  Vet
called me & asked if I'd give her a home.  She had some behavior problems,
but don't we all!  Anyway, she's a beautiful tri color.  She has
lymphosarcoma so don't know how much longer I'll get to annoy her.  She's
still pretty darn sassy, (snarls at the cat at least 3 times daily!) and
will only eat a home cooked diet!  She loves her vet who gives her
acupuncture every other week... even if she does put a "smart needle" on the
top of her head!  There are days even I could use a smart needle!

Spencer is my new boy.  Don't know his birthday or age, (I think he's 6) but
are gonna celebrate his adoption day (June 1st).  I got him from Basset
rescue of Puget Sound to whom I'm sooooo grateful.  You can see a photo of
him here http://www.adoptabasset.net/happy-homes.html He's the 2nd photo,
they called him Harry, but he's now Spencer... although some days he's
Cujo.  I have been clicker training him and it has worked wonders with him.
Yes, he was a biter.  But he's learning that life's good!  And when he acts
bad, the "clicker game" and treat bag go away and the food lady walks out of
the room... game over.  (He HATES that!)  His favorite game is soccer with a
really bouncy tennis ball, except he's 88lbs with feet as big as a great
dane (I kid you not!)  So he looses the ball between his huge feet and his
enormous ears... it's really funny!  But he's learned to play, and loves
trips to the coast.  He's still very afraid of kids and some men, since I
live alone it's a non-issue, but he loves to play with me and other dogs.
Now that we've got his thyroid working properly he's even better!

Wow, it's nice to ramble on about my pooches to an appreciative audience!
<g>
Again, thank you all for the warm welcome!
Vikki, Natasha & Spencer.