[Dailydrool] question: bassetts and walks

Brooke Blew bblew42 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 10:44:46 PST 2008

i have a four month old basset (today is acutally his 4-month b-day!!!). he's perfectly perfect in every way -- of course :)

we've been attending puppy kindergarten to learn the basics and he is doing very well and is very well behaved at home ... behaved for a puppy anyway.

he loves to play with us and other dogs and with his toys and often runs around the house willy-nilly just for fun. but - he does NOT like going for walks on the leash. his aversion doesn't seem to be with the leash itself -- he's fine on the leash while going potty or taking a trip to the vet or pet supply store, etc -- but rather the actual act of going for a walk.

is this typical basset behavior, or should i really try harder to get him into the routine of going for walks? not sure how hard to push on this one. and yes, i have tried baiting him w/ treats to keep him walking ... but that doesn't even work. he just puts his little heels in the ground and forces me to pull him home.

any thoughts?

many thanks,
Brooke, mommy to Moses