[Dailydrool] Walking on a leash

julie jules56pt at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 2 14:10:41 PST 2008

This is to the mommy of the 4 month old basset who doesn't like togo for walks. Give it time.  When we got our first two back in the Dark Ages, they were litter mates and as different as night and day.  Sassy was ADHD if a puppy could be called that.  She never was still, didn't eat much and loved to walk and play.  We got her first and she was so very unhappy by herself, that we had to go back and get Daisy so she would have a playmate.  (I am making a short story long.)  Daisy was twice as big as Sass when we got her.  We felt like terrible puppy parents.  We cooked and hand fed Sassy but she didn't like much of anything.

When we first tried walking on a leash, it was funny but not fun.  Sassy just wanted to be carried because she was spoiled.  Daisy, didn't want to walk because she was too chunky and got tired too quickly.  She would do a flat basset, literally put all four paws out to the side and glue herself to the sidewalk after about a block or less.  We would have to carry her.  She loved riding in the crook of an elbow.  We lived in the UK at the time and people were sure we didn' know what we were doing--and they were right.  One lady brought us a book on beagles and slipped it though our mail slot because it looked like we needed help.

Sassy and Daily loved being outside and running in the grass, flowers, bedding plants, garden and any mud they could find.  They also liked to go for walks themselves. We lived in a house that had old carriage gates to the back yard and they didn't meet at the bottom tightly enough to keep puppies in.  We had only let them out for a minute when they went missing.  The neighbors graciously brought them back, after we had begun searching frantically.  It seems that they wanted to go for a walk with the big collies. They started walking with two dogs and ended up with four.  Another time, the girls went next door and went into the shop which had a small meat counter.  Sassy could do the flat bottom thing and was begging for a treat. They were very nice to us about our wayward animals.

I think some puppies are just not going to like a leash until they are a little older.  I would try but not force it unless you like carrying your pup.

They are so cute and fun at that age.  I don't know if  I have the energy for a puppy again.

Snooters from Ninja, Marley, and Maggie