[Dailydrool] Is sudden neediness important?

Nadine Mysker nadine at mysker.com
Tue Dec 2 16:10:31 PST 2008

Jill the Bagel is used to going EVERYWHERE with me, i.e. banking,
shopping, post office, village hall.  She has even been in the
pharmacy and medical clinic.  When we first got her we told a few
friends (who told others, who told others, etc.) we were thinking of
training her as a service dog.  I also mentioned in public that, in my
opinion, Jill was my service dog as she had really helped me do a
turn-a-round health wise.  So everyone in town expects Jill to
accompany me and we have never been turned away by any business.
Maybe some day I'll fess up (LOL). . .

Two months ago I began a 12 week pulmonary rehabilitation program 45
miles from home so Jill had to be left at home in jail (the heated
laundry room).  I only go twice per week but I use that time out of
town to shop in stores that we do not have here at home so I tend to
be gone for 4 - 5 hours.

JILL BECAME EXCEEDINGLY NEEDY WHEN OUR SCHEDULE CHANGED AND WE WERE NO
LONGER TOGETHER 24/7.  When her acute neediness started we gave her
all the attention she wanted with a little extra to boot.  After three
weeks we began to cut back on the attention and re-instituted old
chores around the house (which we had passed off to the cleaning lady)
and did extra to keep her a little distanced.  Both Jill & I have
adjusted to it and she does much better now but it took 2 weeks of
effort!

Be patient, I suspect Copper will come around, too. Begin by easing
off the couch and pouring a fresh glass of water for you and a bowlful
for him.  Get up and spend 5 extra minutes in the bathroom.  Take 15
minutes to empty the washer or dryer.  Hum if necessary to let Copper
know you are still there.  You keeping busy will keep him distracted
as long as you start with small increments and work up to longer times
apart.  Eventually, the "velcrotude" of Copper should ease up!

Good Luck,
Nadine Mysker, Slave to Jill the Bagel