[Dailydrool] Basset Hound or Mountain Goat?

Vanis, Nancy Nancy.Vanis at McKesson.com
Tue Dec 2 21:25:30 PST 2008

My youngest guy routinely climbs our firewood pile in the backyard.  I
looked up one day shortly after he came to live here as a foster to see
him on top of the woodpile (which was 5ft-plus in some places).  He was
getting ready to launch himself over the 6ft tall wooden fence that
separates our yard from the neighbors even though the fence was a good 3
feet away from where he was.  I never had any of the other boys try to
climb on the wood much less get to the top.  Needless to say, the wood
pile is now longer and much shorter.  He still loves climbing as high as
he can and barking down at the other boys.

Colt climbs to the top of the waterfall feature we have in the backyard
(4 1/2 ft at the tallest point), on top of any table inside or out he
can get to (including my desk), the top of the dog houses we have
outside in the summer, tries to follow people up the rungs of ladders
and anything else he knows he shouldn't try.  I came out of the house
one day to see him sitting on the closed lid of a large 60 gallon trash
container that had been left too close to the deck.  He climbed on a
chair to get on a section of railing which allowed him to get up on the
trash can.

I love taking him on home visits for potential adopters who have never
had a Basset.  I just wait for the moment when their jaw drops as Colt
finds some obstacle to climb.  One time he suddenly appeared in a seat
on a small boat that was parked in the yard - still on its trailer.  He
had used another wood pile to gain access.  These folks quickly re-think
their previous ideas of a 'Basset-proofed" home and yard.

Guess we could categorize these kids as Basset Goats or Mountain Hounds?
Both sound a lot nicer than 'dingbat', which is what I usually call him
after one of his stunts.