[Dailydrool] citronella collars

Barbara Stacey barbara.stacey at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 3 11:24:32 PST 2008

I tried a citronella collar on Elmo to stop his persistent barking. He didn't like the spray, but the problem was positioning the collar. With all the lose skin on his neck most of the time it wouldn't spray at all.

I read an article in the AKC Gazette by a dog behaviorist about using a spray bottle.  I got a spray bottle and filled it with plain water.  As soon as he would start to bark (for no reason) I would give the quit command and if that didn't work, a quick spray in the face.  It doesn't hurt, just startles and he did not like it.  After a couple of times all I had to do was pick up the spray bottle and he would stop barking.  I made sure not to spray when he was doing his play bark since that bark serves a purpose.  I just wanted to stop the barking at nothing.  It really helped.

Hope this helps.