[Dailydrool] list / post etiquette / need for "heavy handed" moderating?

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Dec 3 12:35:47 PST 2008

You know.. this whole "mods come back" and "rude post" and the rest of it..
is just a big blow up over something very minor!

The post Ann made was all of two lines .... **TWO** Lines ... it was just a
comment that she'd gotten mostly good emails except for a rude one from bob,
but because she didn't say *which* bob, it made people wonder what "bob" she
meant.

Ann **could have** put in " (not bob the dog) " but that was an oversight or
accident not to.

Bob **could have** simply posted "Hey Ann's 'rude bob' wasn't me 'bob the
dog'"

But that *TOO*.. wasn't done!

Normally what should happen.. is if someone's offended or getting heat for
something.. they should contact the original poster, ask them to re-post
explaining their point OR as in this case, just a simple ... "sorry all I
didn't mean bob the dog, but some other bob"

But no! ... now we have this big brouhaha over to moderate or not to
moderate ... is that really the question?

The moderators have been doing just fine in the "hiatus mode" that they're
in .. I've not seen hugely nasty, nor anything the other way... I think
people need to stop jumping to conclusions, and then airing their reverse
gripes on the board, and handle anything they feel miffed about OFF the
boards first!! .. Use the moderators **only** when that off board
conversation breaks down, and then only when its something that you feel
really needs corrected in the public view.

Again.. all of you should go back to Ann's original post, just to see how
minor it was ... and then ask how it "got all blowed up" into some uproar as
if the moderators don't do anything at all (which isn't true as was also
posted in the past day).

-Robert

PS. the sentences that started this all...

ANN:  Thanks for all the positive feed back on my email.  It makes up for
the very rude one I received from Bob.

(and no she didn't mean bob the dog)