[Dailydrool] Aggression Question

Johnson, Kathryn L kathryn.johnson at ots.treas.gov
Thu Dec 4 06:26:47 PST 2008

I seem to be having a bit of a problem with Rocky and Scooter.  Rocky is
a Dachshund/Rottie mix and Scooter is the Basset Hound.  Rocky is about
14 and Scooter is 10.  Rocky has been taking some thyroid medication for
a low thyroid and I think it is making him a bit more aggressive that
usual (he's always been on the feisty side - except for Scooter he only
gets along with dogs who are smaller than he is).  When I leave I baby
gate them in the den which has a doggie door to a secure fenced yard.
Well when I went out yesterday evening Rocky must have attacked Scooter.
I was sitting with Scooter when I got home and found a bit of blood (not
much and I couldn't find any real wound of any sort) on her neck.  Well
now she is afraid to stay in the den with Rocky during the day when I am
at work.  This morning I literally couldn't get her off my bed and into
the den (even for lunchmeat).  She was very, very determined that she
wasn't going in there.  I ended up putting up everything I could think
of, closing all the doors, putting a sheet over the good couch and
leaving for work with them having the run of the den, living room,
dining room and kitchen (yes the trash is up on the counter!).  I'm
going to take Scooter to the vet tomorrow for her annual, so I'll have
her checked out then, and I think I'll take Rocky in and have his
thyroid levels checked, but I'm wondering what to do.  Perhaps consult
with a behaviorist?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kathryn
Scooter & Rocky & Sandy (ATB)