[Dailydrool] Eye drops...

L.K. Metzler toppogigio at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 15:47:46 PST 2008

If you MUST put something in the dog's eyes before you can talk to your vet or have the dog examined, try the artficial tears eyedrops that have NO PRESERVATIVES in them, such as Genteal, Bio-Tears, or similar.  Some come in single-use packages, so you simply toss the little dropper when you are finished.  The non-preservative formulas should be safe for dry or irritated eyes, and will provide lubricant without any "medicine".  They shouldn't bother a scratched cornea, either--anyway they didn't bother me when I scratched my own.  I was able to use these drops post-surgery, too, without any problems.

The itchy allergy eyes might also benefit from a few doses of Benadryl, either in capsule/caplet or liquid form.  Just like people, dogs seem to suffer allergies that affect their eyes, noses, and ears.  I suspect that they also have sinus problems like we do, too.

Lisa Metzler

Penelope, Jasmine, Pelly, and Addie-Lou Roo the Baby Kangaroo Basset

L.K. Metzler
San Marcos, TX
toppogigio at yahoo.com

"A dog wags its tail with its heart." - Martin Buxbaum

"If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one." -- Andy Rooney