[Dailydrool] Buford Update/Miss Maggie

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Thu Dec 4 17:34:35 PST 2008

I'm starting to get confused with where I post what, so if I'm being
redundant I do apologize.

Buford is doing "so far, so good."  I do not want to use stronger
words because we're still just in the early stages of treating him
for Cushings.  But, he is doing very well with the Trilostane--no
side effects; water "in and out" has slowed down some, particularly
with the fact that he is not frantic to get more water into himself
right after draining it all out in the backyard!  He's sleeping on
the bed again (good for him; less room for me!) and no longer gets
all hot and panting causing him to hop off onto the floor and look
for a cool spot to sleep.  He's still in the habit of waking up every
2 hours or so during the night (he goes 6 hours during the day with
no problems)--and I am convinced it is habit because more often than
not we get downstairs to go outside and the look I get is "Well, I
don't think I have to go but since we're here..." and then he goes
out and pees a smidge simply because he's there.  Before we started
treatment he would pee bucket loads!

He also has a massive kidney infection that the Cushings was
masking.  He's just about done with a course of Baytril and we'll run
the same lab tests again to make sure it's kicked.  If not he'll get
a second course of antibiotics to make sure it's totally done.
Unfortunately this means we have to hold off on the ACTH test because
it would never be accurate.  Fortunately his Trilostane dose is
conservative and truth be told it will probably have to be increased
as opposed to decreased once we get the testing done.

But the best part of all--my "I'll be 10 years old in just 4 weeks
and 4 days" baby races to greet me at the door when I come home each
day!  He hasn't done this in close to 2 years.  He just seems
happier, more energetic and full of life.  Heck, during Thanksgiving
he was stealing underwear out of my guests suitcases--something he
hasn't done in AGES!

And the rest of the pack--just fine and dandy for once.  ...if only
Della would stop ripping up the books I'm reading that I put on the
nightstand before going to bed...and she "reads" the final chapter
first if you now what I mean!

Non-basset related:  my mother seems to be doing well with her cancer
treatment although her blood markers have stabilized instead of
continuing to decrease.  So we're doing another PET-CT on the 12th
and will have results at her oncologist appointment on the 15th.  (We
go to NYU and the scan is being done 2 floors below her oncologist's
office so no wait to receive films, etc.--immediate radiology readings.)

So while I wish **ALL** was quiet, I'm grateful that things are
somewhat quiet.

Now, Miss Maggie:  travel well and know that your mommy loves you
very much!  I'm sure my Walter greeted you at the buffet and helped
get you settled in so you could watch over your family.  Synthia--you
gave Miss Maggie 13 months of joy and love.  She chose YOU to be her
last stop because she KNEW that you were the perfect person for her--
that is abundantly clear.  Our thoughts, prayers and drool go out to
you and yours in this time of need.

Drool to all in need, and snooters to everyone!

--heidi
--buford (Mom? Can I chase Guinness again?  That was fun!)
--della (What's on the night stand is public domain.)
--guinness (Why is that old, white faced dog chasing me?!  He hasn't
done that in over 5 years!!!)
--walter (ATB:  1995-1997)