[Dailydrool] Red eyes and they do know

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 19:01:19 PST 2008

Speedy get really red eyes especially when the wind picks up. He has really lose skin around his eyes and he can't really close his eyes. At least, it doesn't really seem as if he does. Anyroo, I too was very concerned when I first got him but my vet said he would be fine, its just that more dust gets in his eyes since they are so droopy.  He gave me some eye cream for the really bad days. I don't use it often as Speedy doesn't seem to rub or anything. He does get the eye boggers, but again nothing major.

I do believe dogs know, when I was young we had two mix breeds, they were sisters but the one that outlived knew it was time and was very respectful. We cremated her and she would always lie next to the urn in the evenings. This was wierd to us as she would always go to our room.  When Ted passed away we buried him next to his parents. Speedy dug a little den and would lay on top of Ted's resting place for a good two weeks. I had to change our routine as Speedy seemed very depressed.  Speedy doesn't lay on top of Ted's spot anymore, but he sure has mellowed out since Ted left.

Nancy momslabe to
Speedy Speed Demon of the West OEBE
Ted (ATB)