[Dailydrool] Suggestion for arthritis

Anita Woodrum a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 7 18:02:03 PST 2008

My Gracie is somewhere around 10 years old (rescue, best guess) and is a 60
pound hunk of Basset who has arthritis.  I've only had her since May, and
her arthritis really started being a problem once the weather cooled off.
Started her off on coated baby aspirin twice a day, which helped a lot, but
didn't want to keep her on it because of the possible stomach problems
aspirin can cause.  Not crazy about using any kind of prescription
medications if there's any other option available because of side effects,
and didn't want to go to Glucosamine because it works very slowly, and we
needed something to make it better now, not later.  My family is big into
alternative medicine, so I did some research and decided to try MSM (short
for an unpronounceable chemical name), which is a sulphur compound that is
highly recommended for joint pain and arthritis (there are no known side
effects), and it is working great!!  It started working immediately and
we've totally stopped the aspirin, I give her one 1000 mg MSM capsule once a
day, it works for 24 hours.  If needed I'd feel comfortable giving her a
capsule twice a day, but it hasn't been necessary so far.  I bought Gracie's
MSM at a health food store, but checked last week and you can get it at
Wal-Mart, it's with the Glucosamine.  In fact, they actually had a
Glucosamine and MSM combination, I'll probably try that when we use up what
we have.

Anita, Gracie, Holly and the kitties

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net