[Dailydrool] Natasha 10/15/95 - 12/13/08

Vikki Kiehl vkiehl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 18:30:16 PST 2008

My lovely Natasha passed away last night at 10pm.  She had cancer of the
immune system.  Her lymph nodes had gotten as big as my fists, but she
wasn't in any pain.  She was diagnosed at the beginning of July.  I took her
to the Oregon coast every month while she felt good.  Saturday morning she
stopped eating, she started getting weak in the back legs & I called her vet
to notify that Natasha's time was near & could she please come with "the
shot".  I gave her a doggie pain killer I had on hand for her.  (we always
had some because she had back problems a couple years ago)  She relaxed and
snored REALLY loud, which made me feel better.  1 1/2 hours later... she
stopped snoring.  She didn't wait for the Dr.
Natasha had just started showing signs that the cancer was getting the
better of her.  Just started slowing down.  We were at the Dr. on weds.  She
was fiesty & eating right up thru friday night.  I'm really happy she went
quickly.  She didn't suffer, cancer can be so horrible.
She came to me at 9 yrs old.  Her family got a new puppy they liked better &
took her in for euthanasia.  Vet refused as she was a healthy dog.  Called
me & I took her home.  She had been very neglected for a long time, so dirty
you couldn't tell she was anything other than dirt brown (she was a
beautiful tri with big brown "deer" eyes, lined with black liner).  She was
afraid of everyone and when her previous family saw her in my car & came up
to say hi, she lunged accross the car to bite them.  I had to roll up the
window really fast for safety sake!  I had never seen a dog react like that
before.  I never want to know what they did to deserve that.  It took a long
time but she did trust me... and I loved her very much.  ...and I miss her.
She had some bad discs in her back, her tail was paralyzed 2 yrs ago, but a
chiropractor got that working again.  She could only lift her tail 1/2 way
and kinda to her right, but was ok with both of us.  Last year she got
vestibular disease.  Took her a while and chiro & vet visits, but got her
back on solid ground (so to speak).  It left her with a head tilt, so I
started calling her "Natasha i lean"  :)
She was a great teacher.  From her I have begun to learn patience (someday
I'll be proficient!).  She had some serious behavior & eventually
health issues, and I had to learn to be a better doggie mommy to help her
overcome them.  Another thing she new FOR SURE - cats are aliens that must
be snarled at every time you see them.  :)

I'm sorry this is so long.  I know you don't know us well yet, we are new
here.  But I knew that all of you would understand.  I just didn't think her
time was so near.  I guess this is my tribute to a friend taken too
soon. (Isn't it always too soon!?)
vikki - spencer's mom