[Dailydrool] Getting to know Kelvin

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Mon Dec 15 11:51:44 PST 2008

Well, we know he's dealing with separation anxiety because I haven't
slept much since Friday (hubby takes off his hearing aids and sleeps
like a baby).  We introduced him to Gus, who is the least likely to hurt
him unintentionally, after Kelvin got the entire herd
howling/barking/whining until 1 am.  He settled down with Gus and I was
able to get about 5 hours of sleep.  Saturday night, same thing but Gus
wasn't enough of a companion and we had howling all night.  Last
night..... same thing but the sheriff showed up at my door with
complaints at midnight from people on the other side of the block.
Gives you an idea of how loud he is.  So we tried introducing him to
Sally our blind girl but he didn't want to have anything to do with
her.  He did end up settling down after another few minutes.  This
morning, now that he's not coughing, gagging or too weak, I introduced
the rest of the herd.  He wanted nothing to do with Sally which bothered
her.  Tesla was ignored after he couldn't get high enough to hump her.
He had a 20 minute marking contest with Gus and Schroeder out here in
the freezing cold.  And then there was Curie, our hyper maniac of a
basset, he was interested in her but decided marking was more fun.

I have to go into 'town' this afternoon (an hour drive one way just for
groceries) so he's been in the 'dog room' with everyone else for a bit
to get him used to the idea that this is where he will stay if we are
gone or asleep.  I have cats that are fearful of dogs so this gives them
time to relax and it keeps my house from totally being destroyed.  The
laundry room has all their beds and Curie's crate always set up.  Heated
and cooled and secure for Tesla, she has anxiety issues and will start
doing strange things like pulling up all the flooring, chewing the
drywall etc is she has an attack, which is about once a month to once
every six weeks now.

He's still barking.   I'm used to dealing with this but usually by this
time the neediness has dissipated enough that they aren't barking alllll
the time.... he's going to be a character.  Bets are he'll start
realizing he's not going to be left again in another week or so, we just
have to keep him calm at night.

Other than that he's been ok in the house, only peed once while we were
awake, though he flooded the kitchen Saturday night.  He's figured out
how to get on the couch without needing help.  Understands that the
litter box is off limits.  And tolerated the cats really well.  The poor
thing has been abused though.  If I lift my hand over his head without
talking to him first he ducks and moves way out of the way.  If hubby
raises his voice, which he does because he's deaf, Kelvin will flinch
and tremble.

And he's going to be a big dog, his head is bigger than Schroeder's but
he's just a little shorter.  His feet are the biggest of all the bassets
so 55-60 as top weight for him may have to be adjusted.  Schroeder's 60
lbs at the moment.

Overall, he's more behaved than the other bassets.
Carmen