[Dailydrool] Dear Pelham B Group

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 03:20:09 PST 2008

Put up the gate and quit agonizing.
There is simply no way to stop a Basset from following his nose and once he
has "scored" you are dead meat, so to speak. I push things so far back on
the counter that nobody under 6 feet tall can reach them, but, Nigel does.
The other day he got half -- more like two-thirds- of my sandwich, which was
back behind my computer on a desk with a chair in front of it. Ha, he laughs
at my feeble attempts to dissauade him. He knows where to check. Once he has
found food or kleenex (toilet paper is now on top of the towel racks) he
never forgets and will check that spot over and over.
Seriously, what you are fighting is instinct, and you cannot win because it
is hardwired into his system. Honest. It is similar to expecting an intact
male to ignore a female in season. Ain't gonna happen, no matter what you
do. (Trust me on this one. This is the bitter voice of experience.)
Either put things in front of the food on the counter that he cannot get
past without alerting you-- pans, coffee tins,and so on, put a scat mat (
electric) on the floor in front of the counter (don't step on it in your
bare feet) or put up the gate. Sooner or later he is going to get something
he should not have, like your Valium or Paxil (Don't all Basset owners take
these?) so putting things away and closing off the area is probably your
best bet.

MomPerson to Nigel (I GOT it!) Llewis (Aww share...) Mitchell and Cooper
(No,*I* have it!)