[Dailydrool] Shhhh ... I Think I Got My Christmas Present

Yolanda yolandalyons at tm.net
Thu Dec 18 12:04:02 PST 2008

Well, Buddy actually received it, but it was what I had wished for ... I
think (I hope) that Buddy received a special delivery and his brain arrived!
I don't know exactly when it happened, you understand, but I have just
realized that he is acting differently.  He is calmer, he actually is doing
some of the things we ask, and he is being much nicer to his older,
shorter-legged, curly-haired stepbrother, Harvey.  Believe me, I know that
Christmas is coming and that might affect some of Buddy's thinking
processes, but I find it hard to believe that he could be this good for
several weeks.  I mean c'mon, he's a Basset, right?

Buddy was three years old in July and since we live in the "sticks", perhaps
it took longer for the delivery truck to find our house.  I don't care if it
was five months late in coming, I am enthralled now by the transformation.
Some of you will remember that Buddy was the one who ate a whole pan of
cabbage rolls while we were outside assisting people who had been in an
accident.  Buddy was the one who stole the whole pork roast off the table
when I went back into the kitchen to get the potatoes out of the oven.
Buddy was the one who survived eating a huge bowl of peach Jello with
peaches, bananas and lots of whipped cream while I was getting out the
insulated bag to carry it in.  Buddy was the one who opened a brand new
25-pound bag of flour and a 7-pound new bag of powdered sugar and spread
them all over the kitchen floor (and on the counters, the stove and the
table), then got up in a chair and managed to open the kitchen cupboard
where all the spices were stored.  Buddy is the one who ate my glasses and
my dentures.  Buddy is the one who was so excited about the FedEx guy
petting him and giving him a bone that he peed on the poor guy's leg.  (Hmm,
that guy never came back, either.)

But all those horrible things are what made him our Buddy.  As I look back,
I think I miss the old Buddy.  Each day was a challenge, but each one was
filled with laughter (and a few other things, too).  Gee, I wonder if it's
too late to return that brain to the factory?  Oh good Lord, what am I
thinking?!!!!

Yolanda Lyons