[Dailydrool] The Duch has left the building

Jody Grack grackj at rjfagencies.com
Sat Dec 20 06:11:14 PST 2008

I have always given nick names to my bassets and to many people I meet.
Duchess was never the prissy royal type and I really felt she was miss
named and eventually I stated calling her "The Duch"  it sounded better
much better than Duch- Ass  and The Duch really fit her personality
better.

She has had pneumonia on and off since her tie back surgery years ago.
This time the pneumonia flared worse than ever before, but we really
were not expecting this. I just purchased another 100 pills of her
antibiotics yesterday.

The Duch didn't make it though last night.  It was surprising, shocking
and suffocating. In less then 24 hours she went from normal to gone.
How unexpected. But that is was "The Duch"  - unexpected form the
beginning.

I started stalking Duch when I first saw her picture on the BBR website
over 7 years ago.  Back then we only had Mable ( I know only one dog?).

I went to Bassetfest back in August of 2002 and the first time I saw
Duch she walked right by us and never looked back.  Phoebe and I laughed
so hard, we chased her and she just ignored us.  I was hooked. I chased
down her foster parents, the BBR board and adopted Duchess. It was like
she was always My basset. Mable shot me dirty looks all the way home and
Duch looked like she had always been there.  When we got home she never
left my side unless it was to chase after rabbits or to nap.  Yes 9 1/2
and giving chase, not necessarily good chase but the fun is in the chase
itself.  Then she'd get distracted by her nose and I'd find her just
standing and sniffing totally forgetting the rabbit.

She was a no nonsense basset, and the matriarch of the MN Basset Brigade
who really loved to have her armpit rubbed, weird.  She never begged for
attention, she silently expected it.  She came with manners and would
for the most part listened to me, she was a wonderful example for Mable.

She loved to run, I think she liked the breeze on her ears.
She tolerated the other bassets, but loved it best when we took her
places by herself.

The MN Basset Brigade has retired yet another member.

"The Duch" has left the building, but never my heart.

Thanks for letting me share.

Jody and the MN Basset Brigade.

Current Members  - Maddie, Reo, Lexi, Foster Delta, Foster Ethel.
Retired Members of the Brigade - Mable - "Mable-pie" (ATB 7/05), Hannah
- "Hannah- Boe -Nana" (ATB 11/06 - BBR Alum), and the newest retiree
Duchess - "The Duch" (12/08 - BBR Alum)