[Dailydrool] What to do?? Rescue seeking suggestions...

froggie0310 at bellsouth.net froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 20 20:31:22 PST 2008

We recently had an adopter email us and tell us that it just isn't working out with their adopted dog and their current dog.  Both are trying to be Alpha, so the new one has to go.  She consulted a trainer and "nothing is working." (probably because the human is not the real Alpha, as it should be.) I had this boy as a foster for a month and he was perfect here--and that was with at least 6 other dogs!  Foster space is at a premium (meaning there is none available) and while I know we are obligated to take back a dog we adopted out, we didn't save him a space in foster care in the event it didn't work out because he was adopted out A YEAR AGO.  If this were a new dog an owner were trying to surrender, it would be an automatic "no" because we do not have room.  We are closed to ANY new dogs.  So, what do other rescues do in this case?  I am at a loss.  He's a big dog (and more so because the family has packed the pounds on him), "aggressive" (according to them) and has snapped at their children (something he never did here--didn't snap at anyone!  He was Sapper the old guest's best friend and they had a blast throwing each other around.)  I'd take him back here but I can't.

Susan and the Hoptown Bassets + 4 (Smokey got adopted!!)