[Dailydrool] Our vet recheck for Kelvin

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Mon Dec 29 14:06:19 PST 2008

We had our check up at 3 this afternoon.

Kelvin has gained 5 pounds!!!!  That brings him to 44 lbs.
The swelling has mostly gone away, there's just one spot we need to
watch for now.  He thinks it's still a reaction to the
internal/dissolvable sutures and will be there until it all dissolves
and goes away.
He agrees that the incontinence was most likely related to the pred but
also may have something to do with irritation from those sutures.  Since
he's had no major accidents since we finished the pred, just a drop or 3
here and there, then we shouldn't worry about it.  Just to let them know
if it starts up again.
The heavy breathing at night, most likely a withdrawal issue from the
pred, if it doesn't resolve in another 2 weeks we give them a call.
Sugar looked good for the past few days, gave them the test results from
my meter and they are fine with where the levels are at.  So no
diabetes.  Which leaves the water gulping.  Our orders are to do like we
normally do with starved dogs and cats, watch them like a hawk for the
first few months until they realize the water isn't going to disappear.

Vet wants us to aim for 60 lbs but to bring him in once a month for a
weigh in so that when he gets over 55 they can be sure he's not too
fluffy.

FWIW:
Bassets are harder to test for sugar than cats!  They just squirm way
too much and their ears are almost too think for the lancet!  Going to
have to try other means of being a vampire to test him from now on....
at least they only want to test once a week until he's fully gained all
the weight back.

carmen