[Dailydrool] training question

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 17:13:16 PST 2008

Radar, 19 months, has turned into quite a barker at the neighbors.  If
he is outside and sees them, he will run to the fence and bark, bark,
bark.  I need to train him not to do this.  Any information/ideas would
be greatly appreciated.  I was thinking if I carried treats outside and
when the barking began I would call him away from the fence, have him
sit and them give him a treat.  However, is this rewarding the barking
or the coming away and sitting?  If he comes and sits for the treat,
eats it, them returns to the fence to bark do I call him away and repeat
with the come, sit, treat?  He has met the neighbors, sniffed them and
accepted pets, but then he starts the bark, bark, bark again.

Cheryl