[Dailydrool] Solitary Bassets

Pat Dill padill at starband.net
Tue Dec 30 03:41:42 PST 2008

Becky,

With regard to how Morse would manage with another dog in the household, you
and Morse know the answer to that better than any of us.  Although many
(even most) hounds do well in a pack environment, individual dogs vary
widely in personality, and you may well be living with a solitary dog.  We
have several times fostered and/or adopted dogs who had lived for many years
as solitary dogs, and in all cases we were able to transition them
successfully to a multi-dog household.  There was always a learning period
for them while they found out that food, treats, toys and affection were
available in abundance for everyone, including them, but it all sorted out
in the end.  That doesn't mean that Morse, though, would be happy with a
brother or sister.

So as not to underestimate him, though, and to give other homeless dogs
their best shot, I would suggest that you try fostering for a while when you
are able. (And I mean fostering, as opposed to foster-to-adopt arrangements.
You should foster a dog whom you definitely plan to "let go" when the right
home comes along.)  That may give Morse and you the chance to find out if he
really could learn to love having a sibling without committing you to a
lifelong situation.  He may also take some comfort, if the fostering goes
well, in knowing that they ultimately "disappear" and he will have you to
himself again.  Conversely, you may discover to your surprise after some
time passes that he adapts to another hound in the household, at which time
you can consider a permanent arrangement.

Pat Dill