[Dailydrool] The BUV

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Tue Dec 30 13:47:52 PST 2008

A couple things I'd like to add to the BUV discussion. ROOM and lots of it are a priority for me on dog show trips. I'm usually carrying 4-6 crated bassets and may have a rescue/transport or two as well. My BUV is a '97 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD. It has almost 200,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I bought it used for about $5,000 almost 6 years ago. It had 83,000 miles on it. Almost two years ago, I took it to the Dodge dealership and had them go through and fix everything that needed fixed or was worn. Cost about $2,000 and other than replacing the starter prior to that and the rear gear box last year, it hasn't had any problems and runs like a top. It's all wheel drive (AWD) and has a longer wheel base than most caravans. They don't make this model anymore. Loaded to the gills with hounds and show gear, me and my gear, the mileage is about 24 mpg on the road. The seats live on my front deck and make comfy deck furniture. Once they were loaned out for temporary living room furniture. Rarely do I need to carry more than one two legged passenger. Plus without the extra weight of the seats, the vehicle is lighter which improves the gas mileage.

The Chrysler Town & Country with the stow and go seats is a wonderful concept. I can get a lot more van with a Dodge for less money. I know several people who have the Chrysler with the stow and go seating and all of them have told me the seats are cheaply made and don't hold up well. The stow and go seats take up space and add weight. Your carrying the weight of the seats around with you in addition to everything else you are carrying.

I'll take a good look at the Sienna and the Honda vans when I'm ready for another BUV. AWD and reliability are definitely pluses in my mind.

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets