[Dailydrool] Solitary Basset

Carol Gazzara carolgazzara at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 15:05:44 PST 2008

  In regard to the "solitary Basset" thread I have to tell you about our recent foster experience and our Rosie.

  We are the official "dog sitters" on our block.  Seems everyone asks us to sit their dogs while they go on vaction and we do it often and Rosie has always been fine with other dogs coming in and sharing her spaces (beds, toys, humans).  Recently we fostered a female basset that was such a love but Rosie had some serious issues with her.  For the first time ever, Rosie showed Food aggression so badly that I actually saw our sweet girl give a full throated, all teeth bared growl.  They actually went for each other one day.  Rosie then became aggressive if Abby even entered the kitchen while I was cooking.  Then the toys became an issue and our Rosie doesn't play with any of her toys.  Abby found Rosie's toy box and dug in and pulled out a ball and brought it to me; I tossed it and she ran for it and Rosie tackled her and again gave the deep throated, teeth bared growl.  Rosie didn't mind sharing one of her beds but if I sat on the floor and tried to play with Abby she again showed aggression.  I hated to see Rosie this way but realize that as she gets older this just may be the way she is.  Right now she's 5.5 years old and I now believe she is truly an ONLY dog.

   Be careful and yes, try fostering as a test but be ever vigilent when food or your dog's belongings are at issue, you just never know.

Carol & Rosie in Florida