[Dailydrool] flatbasset

Gorney shadedog at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 10 07:48:11 PDT 2008

Milo here-
I was never a flat basset as far as I know since mom got me at 11 mos. and I was already good on the leash. Shade(atb) my brother who was 75 lbs used to flatten out in the ice plant. The first time he was 6 mo old and mom thought he was injured (obviously her first basset) and had dad bring the car. She then figured it out and off he went to obedience training and a sharp "heel" would fix it. Many time she would do our walks in a big circle since Shade didn't want to go home the same way and would sit down.
Now Tracker who is 4yrs old still tests us. Like the youngest in the family he got the least training and the most pampering since he's the cutest. He loves to go flat, especially in grassy fields and roll for belly rubs or just people watch. Not always convenient! Here's mom's solution. The first I don't much care for. She gets him all excited and yells "go get Milo!" whereby Tracker jumps up and runs after me usually barking and sometimes grabbing my tail. The other is to have him wear a harness with a handle and firmly say "lets go" while standing him up. That works too.
Sue here. As you can see I've gone laxed with my training but we have a great relationship. I can always tell when Tracker will go flat. He does a long slow motion stretch down to the ground. The worst part is when he actually rolls over. We usually do a lot of laughing and then there's all kinds of tail wagging. I think it's his way.

Sue, Milohound, Trackerdog(never to old to go flat) and the Shadedog (ATB)