[Dailydrool] Adopting

Timmysgal at aol.com Timmysgal at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 16:16:57 PDT 2008

We recently got a dog from a Rescue in our city. The dog was never in  the
rescue, he was just living in a home that decided he wasn't wanted. Of  course
he is a Basset. He has very crooked legs and can not walk beyond the  driveway.
I suppose he was in a crate most of his life. He is 15 months old and  we
decided to rescue a dog for a companion for our other Basset.We can't even  take
both for a walk together. When they play our puppy has the advantage  because
the other one can't get up or run away. Some people would suggest we  give the
new one up but that is not an option because ours is his 3rd home and  his
last.
My question is what do other rescues do when people call to give up their
dogs. Do they take them and check them out before giving them to their forever
homes? We are not wealthy but want the best for both our first baby and now
our  second member to our family. We are taking him to our own vet this week as
we  have only had him for a few days. Are we responsible for all the vet bills
even  though we haven't signed the adoption papers yet.
He is a very sweet beautiful Basset and we love him already. Maybe one of
our Daily Drool lawyers can give us some legal advise about Rescues and why some
 don't even see the puppies they say are adoptable.
By the way I did call the person that handles the adoption and she said  take
him to your vet she didn't say send the bill to them though.
Just wondering.