[Dailydrool] Slaves and non-Slaves

Velvetglove velvetglove at acanac.net
Tue Jul 1 02:32:06 PDT 2008

In regard to the woman who advised the Drool that a dog is a Dog, and not a person, etc.:  I wish it to be known that I, too, am not a Slave to my Basset.  I am, rather, an indentured servant.

I wonder if the same quality that many of us slaves share, that being the desire to often put our dogs' needs over our own, also confers upon us the ability to share in each others' joys and sorrows.  Is there a commonality among us which permits us to reach deep into our almost-empty pockets and pocketbooks, be it to support a Drooler who has been injured, victimized or generally trounced by Life or to aid a dog, and not necessarily a Basset, who faces death at a pound?

Does being a Slave mean that we are able to say, "My son's hamster has departed this vale of tears.  Send drool" in the same breath that we are willing to say, "You're at the end of your rope?  I'll be there in two shakes.  We'll get through this together."

(This is not meant to say that a non-Slave cannot be a good person.  I merely wonder if it is a limited good or if their heart may be bound by a lack of humour.)

I can speak only for myself, of course, but I am thrilled that the Drool has an amazingly large number of kind, waspish, generous, opinionated and funny members, most of whom cannot stop giving, doing and being the best they can, not only for the Bassets who own them, but who also serve as a force for good.

We are of all races, religions and leanings and all proud to be Slaves.  I say, count me in.

Veronica Woodruff (who realizes she has used faulty logic but is otherwise sound)