[Dailydrool] (no subject)

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Tue Jul 1 04:42:43 PDT 2008

<< I am not her slave, she is a dog and I love her, take good care of her but she is still a DOG!  Out if you  cant behave, In when you can. maybe some of you can simplify your problems by remembering these are dogs, not children. I don't know.. I just know this dog  isn't going to run my house or my life. period.>>

Ah, I remember those days, before I knew for sure that I was a slave. I might even have thought I ruled the house. Those were the days when our Jane was a pupster and I thought I could train her to do what I wanted her to do. I must have been dreaming.

Reality is that people who want hyper-obedient dogs should not get bassets. You can't demand that a hound be potty trained on another kind of dog's schedule. They will "get it" when they "get it," and no human can define when that will be, though it often takes about a year--or maybe even longer. Consistency and persistency will get you a trained hound, but demanding it will not make it happen. You'll end up frustrated and perhaps taking it out on the hound. Sounds as if your dog may end up being an "outside" dog, which will cause trouble for both of you. Bassets are not happy when they are not with their people.

Truth is, hounds will run your life. They were bred to think for themselves, and they do. The more you demand of them, the more they will show you what they think of your demands. You can't ask a hound to stop thinking. If what you want and what the hound wants are the same, you will think you have an obedient dog, but you'll rue the day when you try to force anything on a basset.

I have been outthought and outstubborned by my hounds. Some days they make me crazy. But where else would I find such loving dogs? They adore me, defy me, and have become one of the most important things in my life. Though I thought I trained Jane, I became Jane trained. And we loved her so much, we added Belvedere, then Alexis, and finally Abner to our pack.

It takes a lot to endure that basset mindset, but if you do, you come to adore them too. That's when it hits you: You really are a slave.

It may take time, but you can count on it: Slavedom is coming.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets
Lady Jane & Belvedere & Alexis Thefairyprincess (ATB) & Abner Ahrooo
with Duncan Thefairlyuselessc at t