[Dailydrool] this and that

Georgia Powers georgiapowers at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 11:29:49 PDT 2008

First off, drool to all those with ailing hounds and special drool
that the two missing basset girls return home. Re being "just a dog"
or a "slave,", I guess I freely admit to being a slave to two girls
aged 10 and 12, one extremely demanding orange tabby, two incredibly
pushy goldfish ( aged 5 years ) and of course Eugene--who, my
daughters inform me, became my son the moment we saw him sitting in
his cage at the shelter at the tender age of 6 months. Since he was a
relinquished pet, I know some previous family wasn't all that
enchanted with his basset ways!! Truth be told, neither was I in the
beginning...

  I guess the only one who doesn't really get the royal treatment is
my poor husband!! In my case, having my actual human children gave me
more freedom to treat my pets even more like my  children without
caring what anyone else thought.  My sister once said she had her
children first as dog substitutes because she wasn't yet living in a
place that allowed pets when she had her first baby!! While I adore my
cat, the love that dogs display for humans to me is a mystical thing--
and I'm not a spiritual person at all. When my children were born, my
beloved poodle never took a back seat. For me it was similar to when
my second daughter was born--your heart just expands to include all
your kids, two legged or four. While I do miss the shed- free days of
owning a poodle, I now no longer notice the hair flying from Eugene--
all I see is his incredible , loving , comical self.  Georgia and her
son, Eugene.