[Dailydrool] Thoughts on dog hair and Basset drool

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 14:55:55 PDT 2008

Honestly, the inside of our home is pretty much a rolling hairball, and I
know if I vacuum today, heck, it will be a hairball tomorrow, so why bother?
There must be a reason behind all that vacuuming, because most of my friends
who have dogs vacuum, often, actually.

Granted, when the dog hair starts floating around the dinner table when we
have company, I do worry, somewhat. But all you have to do is gently blow in
the general direction of a spoonful of hot soup, as if to cool it off, and
those pesky hairs will float across the dining area to the top of the
kitchen sink, and away from the dinner table, after all hair is always
somewhere and it's kind of nice how it disperses itself throughout the
house, never staying in one place too long, as if being pursued by the FBI
or CIA.

This past weekend my daughter was here for a few hours, and she was sitting
on the couch where hair has fled to and landed on, which btw is the hound's
couch, so humans shouldn't be sitting on it anyway. So daughter stood up and
her pants were speckled with hound hair, and I said, "hair! Dog hair on your
pants!" Kind of like, "FIRE! Your pants are on fire!" overreaction, sure,
but suitable for the situation. And she said, "well if you didn't let the
dogs rule the house there wouldn't be dog hair on the furniture because they
wouldn't be allowed on it." Ok, I'm not sure if that's what she really said,
but that's what I heard. You see, over the years my hearing has become
selective, just like the hound's.

I do have a few non-Basset friends who outwardly cringe when I treat them to
stories of drool, or when one of the hounds rubs up against a pair of $150
polyester dress slacks, leaving a string of Drool that runs from the
friend's outer thigh to the inside of the thigh in the blink of an eye.
Granted my hounds aren't much at drooling, but they will when necessary. And
of course timing and placement is everything.

I listen to my friend's dog stories so I figure it's only fair that they
listen to ALL my stories about drool, the perfect poo, anal glands,
hairballs, and counter cruising hundreds of dollars worth of beef off the
top of the sink.

Backtracking a bit to the $150 polyester dress slacks. I guess you should
know that I do not own a pair of $150 dress slacks. But I do own a pair of
$1.00 Gloria Vanderbilt denim jeans off the $1 sale rack from the Humane
Society Store. The remote possibility of sudden and uncontrolled drool is
part of my life, therefore polyester does not factor into my wardrobe.

And of course the all-time best gross story, ever, was when Jamie Cheyney's
hound, Lucas K., flung a huge stringy glob of Drool onto the top of the
pizza that Jamie's company was eating. I guess they didn't understand that
blotting off the wad with a paper towel was ok, as opposed to rinsing it off
under the faucet. When we have Bassets that's what we do; we blot and rinse.

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and
BeaverCleaver,
Fort Bragg, CA

"You have gone ahead and nothing is the same, leaving paw prints on my heart
that will always remain."- Tibetan Proverb from Prayers on the Wind.