[Dailydrool] What attracted me to basset hounds?

Sherry Faulkner saf47 at cableone.net
Tue Jul 1 15:13:30 PDT 2008

Back in 1973 after we'd lost a child, some friends of ours blessed us
with a basset/beagle mix named Droop, to keep me occupied. Droop was the
best dog ever, but he had a terrible accident and we eventually lost him.

The night we lost him, I was beside myself and wanted another dog. I was
thinking cocker spaniel, poodle, something along those lines. Hubby took
me to a pet store (I know...I know... BIG no-no!) just to see different
dogs and there was a basset male there who wouldn't quit baying at us.
They took him out of his cage, we fell in love, and took him home.

Shortly after we got Sherman, we found Miss Muffet in the paper, free to
good home. Muffie came to live with us too, and dumb as we were, we
didn't have a clue she was in heat, so 6 weeks later we had a litter of
5 beautiful basset puppies, and kept one of them to replace Sherman, who
we lost shortly after Petey was born.

We ended up finally losing Petey in 1986 and he was our last basset
until 2001. Our son came to visit one night with his new roommate; a
darling 8 week old basset girl named Gretchen. We were hooked all over
again, found MABR, and adopted Reggie from Gladys who was his foster mom
at the time.

And the rest is history! Now we're owned by Reggie, Bear, Henry, Honey,
and Phil the C at t.

Sherry Faulkner
OMBR, Inc.
www.ombr.org