[Dailydrool] Why Basset Hounds?

Richlyn Roach barmolina at wildblue.net
Tue Jul 1 21:10:13 PDT 2008

I had dogs all of my life, mostly mutts, but who cared, they were dogs!!  I took a year off between my sophomore and junior years at college and went to Australia.  I was working for a lady who owned a cattle station and one of her neighbors had some Basset puppies, so of course, they gave me one.  "Critter" and I traveled around a good bit of Australia in our little "Ute" pickup, then I shipped him home when I came back to the U.S.--- partly because I couldnt live without him and partially because nobody else could live with him.
LONG before I had ever heard of OEBEs, I had one.  I could tell a story on Critter every day for a year and still have more.  After Critter I knew I would never find another friend like him, but I also knew I would never be without a Basset again.  Let's face it, there are "Basset People" and "Not Basset People", we're just the lucky ones.
Richlyn and the Mt. Calm Crew